Monday 21 May 2012

Oohhhh Yeeeahh!!

"The same fire the dragon breathes, he shall burn by." - 'Macho Man' Randy Savage

The above was my Quote of the Day on Sunday May 20th, 2012. One year ago on May 20th, 'Macho Man' Randy Savage had passed away. For anybody who doesn't know, 'Macho Man' was a legend in the professional wrestling industry.

When I heard the news about 'Macho Man' and his passing, I was a bit shocked and sad. Obviously, I don't know him on a personal basis. But as a fan of pro-wrestling since I was 5 when 'Macho Man' was at the top of his game, it did upset me. 'Macho Man' was one of the reasons I actually started watching wrestling and stayed a fan. Heck, I even used to climb up on my couches at home and deliver elbow drops to pillows. I also had a 'Macho King' action figure (for when he was the King of the Ring winner).

In the WWE (then known as WWF),  I only got to see him as a good guy with his wife, Elizabeth (both on-air & in real life). For anybody that watches Bollywood movies and sees those couples, Savage & Elizabeth were the wrestling version of that. I remember watching 'Macho Man' against his feud with Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, and also forming alliances w/other big names like Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, and 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper. I'll also remember him for his theme music, which was the 'Graduation Theme' song (as I like to call it). Eventually he disappeared from there and went over to WCW.

In WCW, he continued being a good guy and coming out in his flashy attire. After a certain point, he joined the nWo, and then the nWo Wolfpac. I kind of lost touch on wrestling for a few years when WCW started to go downhill, and didn't really follow wrestling in general so I'm not sure where the rest of 'Macho Man's' career went after that.

But he the ultimate good and the ultimate bad guy. When he was a good guy, any & every wrestling would love to cheer him. When he was a bad guy, everybody would love to boo him. In either case, he played his role well. And he did that while being one of the best in-ring performers. I'm disappointed that he hasn't been inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame as of yet. Hopefully soon (maybe by next year).

Till now, I remain a pro-wrestling fan (even though it wasn't as good as it used to be), running my own fantasy-based wrestling league online. And when I think back to some of influences, 'Macho Man' Randy Savage's name is one of the ones that pop up.

R.I.P. 'Macho Man'. And to quote you, "Oohhhh Yeeeahh!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment